Sunday, September 09, 2007

Baby Back Ribs, Squashes, and Tortellini

Tonight a yummy dinner, perhaps a bit rich -- could have used a course of something with more acid...a tomato salad or something with vinegar.  But it was good anyway, and a glass of wine seemed to help it along.

The day before I marinated baby back ribs (2 slabs) in white wine, worcestershire, olive oil, kosher salt, freshly ground black pepper, and a decent dash of xxxtra hot habenero sauce.  I turned it several times during the day and let it come to room temp while I prepared the rest of dinner.  


I love using my mandoline, but I tend to forget I have it.  I took some zuchinni and yellow squash and made nice little julienned strings.  I fried them in batches in olive oil in a pan with two red jalapenos that had been frying in the oil.  When they were all done, I returned them all to the pan and added a half cube of butter and stirred until it melted and covered all.  I topped it with reggiano parmesean and put it low, under the broiler for about 4 minutes, and then let it sit on warm until dinner was ready.

I put the ribs on the bbq and alternated them between full heat bone side down, to short stints meat side down until they got color.  Finally, I banked the fire to one side and cooked them bone side down on the cool side until done.

I boiled water and salted it and cooked Barilla Tortellini's stuffed with "three cheeses".  When they were done I buttered them and stirred in about a 1/2 cup of reggiano parmesean.

So, you can see... a lot of fatty yummy... not much acid.  I was the only one who drank wine, but no one really complained.  Deano was here and ate with us (second dinner, and literally sucked his bones devoid of meat.

No comments: