Thursday, May 20, 2004

Easter Dinner

I love not knowing what I'm cooking before I get to the store. Sometimes I surprise myself. Today on the way in to the store I saw packages of Pita bread. Instantly I knew what I wanted, and it was a far cry from the sort of dinner I'd planned to make--something with lamb or a crown of pork roast. But, I'm tired, feeling a bit jittery from the big chocolate easter egg I ate this afternoon (with no other food) and perhaps from the sleight hangover from last night's wine consumption.

D. agreed readily, and we trundled over to get some green leaf lettuce, some ripe hothouse tomatoes, some sliced turkey breast (talk about lazy), some muenster cheese. I also picked up some asparagus since I wanted a nice veggie.

I got some tortilla strips and decided to make the mango salsa we had last night at the party. I bought some mangos, some grape tomatoes, some red bell peppers, a white onion and some serranos. I've got some cilantro on hand, and I can't think of anything else that was in the recipe.

I'll assemble the sandwiches and the salsa, and I'll pan roast the asparagus.

***

Here is the plate with my serving.



Everything came out pretty good, except I mangled the mango, and should have cut the grape tomatoes into quarters. The asparagus, which I roasted in olive oil, came out very nice -- didn't even really need butter.

I served this with Newcastle Brown Ale, to be followed shortly (before the sun goes down) by a nice cold gin martini.

No comments: